Mothers are born nurturers yet they ignore their own needs. We go out of our way to make the family comfortable. More often we are tired, stressed and overwhelmed to think about ourselves. Why are we reluctant to nurture ourselves?
It is because of a deep-rooted anxiety of guilt associated with self-care. The image of selfless motherhood propagated throughout the ages is in our consciousness. However, self-care is not self-indulgence, it is self-respect.
Here is a great reason why you should really support yourself.
What is Self-Care?
Self-care is just not only about good grooming or dressing up. It is supporting you to live consciously every day.
As mothers, our plate is often overflowing as we live by the clock. We hardly give ourselves time to introspect in a busy day. Juggling with multiple roles sometimes causes a burnout.
Many times while working I was neither here nor there but in between constantly think of the next job on my list. I was stressed, restless and not ‘really present’ anywhere.
The only solution was to remove certain things from my plate. By focusing on the crucial I ended up in doing more by doing less.
Yes, you have three new opportunities knocking on your door, but do you think you could take them all and do justice to the jobs and yourself.
Are these opportunities overwhelming?
Contemplating and introspecting provides the right direction and is the first step towards responsive action. Conscious living is intentional. It is about where you want to go and not about where you might be drifting.
So in the first month of the New Year take time to connect with yourself.
- What lessons I learned during 2016? Which was the most important?
- What continues to be in my life from 2016?
- What I need to let go from 2016?
- What I should cultivate?
- What I need to think before deciding to let, go or embrace?
- What is mine in 2017? (Your passion)
- What is your definition of success in 2017?
- How will you manifest your intentions?
- What self-care practices would you follow?
- Did you drift in this job?
- Are you just being busy with work, or you enjoy your work and feel not busy at all?
- Do you resent your job?
- Would you like to spend more time for your parents?
- Are you truly present when your child wants to share something with you?
- Do you enjoy cooking?
Conscious living is a skill we need to learn. You need to practice until it becomes a habit.
Creating a Conscious Living Practice
- Be conscious of your thoughts and actions
- Reflect and review in your journal.
- Once a year set your goals
- Decide daily, weekly and monthly goals.
- Review relationships
- Review your spending habit
- Review real cost of things
- Review Time
Changing the thinking patterns makes a great difference. Slowly and consciously try to create mental patterns that help in manifesting your desired goals. Use affirmations to create positive and eliminate negative thought patterns.
Here are some wonderful affirmations for moms. Download a free printable of affirmations Here
I would love to read your experiences and views on self-care, do share in comments.