Ten Easy Ways to Create a Daily Morning Practice
The alarm rings, it is time to get up. A brand-new day is waiting for you. Do you feel enthusiastic about this day? How does your morning look like? How will you describe your morning in one word?
I am breathless as I write this, almost experiencing those chaotic mornings I use to have. Two things helped me to alter those times. They will help you too.
- You are not alone
- This CAN Change
You need to find another way to begin a new day. A day that starts slowly, silently and serenely makes you balanced and grounded. This is a time when you should explore some anchoring practices. Don’t worry; you don’t need to create an elaborate practice.
Reasons for Creating a Daily Practice
A daily practice connect you with your higher self. It nourishes and makes you feel lighter.
- To feel happy
- Become grounded and centred
- Begin the day in a nourishing atmosphere
- Be more present in your life
- Create a path for a successful day
Some Easy Practices
Simple morning practices require few seconds or minutes.Here is a list of practices you can select.
Get up Early
Get up ten minutes early and go to the balcony or terrace. Take ten deep breaths and check your feelings.
Adopt a Plant
Select a plant to sit with each morning. You might get a gift. I was once rewarded with lovely blooms early in the morning.
A gratitude journal is a great way to begin your day. Write five things you are grateful for here and now
Put on a music CD. Close your eyes and listen to a calming music track or guided meditation.
Read ten affirmations. Let the meaning of each affirmation soak in your heart. At the end of the session be thankful for what is.
Do one practice for at least one month to form a pattern that creates a habit. If after a month you don’t feel happy doing the practice, try another. There is no right or wrong practice.
It is easy to add a practice together with a habit you already have. For example, if you have a routine of drawing the curtains of your windows and doors when you get up, open your window and take five deep breaths. Practice in place, right?
Benefits of a morning practice
- It lifts your mood
- It makes you contended
- It gives you an anchor
In a busy household and with maddening schedules, these will be few moments to look forward to.
Ten Tiny Morning Practices
- 10 deep breaths
- Drink warm water laced with Lemon and honey
- Write five lines in your journal
- Spend five minutes with your pet or plants
- Light an aromatic candle and sit still for five minutes
- Look at a photograph/picture that makes you smile. Close your eyes and let the feelings touch your heart.
- Make a note of natural sounds you may hear.
- Observe the trees. Try to see the hues of the same colour. You would be amazed to see many shades of green on one tree.
- Write three things you would do for yourself today.(call a friend, listen to music,read few pages of a book,laugh loudly with your kid)
- Watch the sunrise
These small rituals will transform your mornings. Soon you will feel cheerful when the alarm rings.Any morning practice that relaxes your body and stills your mind is a great way to begin a new day.If you miss your practice someday just relax. Start again the next day, remember it’s a practice where we need to be curious not judgmental.
Do you have a morning practice? Please share your practices and experiences in comments.